Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Scrapping about ME...

As I have mentioned before on here, I made a New Year's resolution to start scrapping my own personal history.  It is so easy to scrap photos of my son, but a bit harder to write my own story.  In the last few years though I have lost both of my Grandmothers (one passed away and the other has dementia and no memory) and I really regret not having more information about their lives.  Neither one of them really liked talking about themselves and neither kept a journal or wrote anything about their lives.  So now what we are left with is photos and a few letters.  These are great, but now I will have to piece together the stories of their lives from second and third hand sources.  So, the moral of the story is that I don't want that to happen to my descendants.  I have always felt a little guilty about the fact that I don't keep a journal, but now that I am scrapping I have found a way to write my story in a way that is so much more enjoyable for me and more interactive for others.  Early on in the year, I came across a great idea about how to get started in this process.  Jennfer Mohler was inspired to scrap 100 life changing moments from her life.  I LOVE this idea and have modified it a little, I sat down and in about 30 minutes came up with 50 moments or stories from my life that I thought were important to tell.  So, I have finally started scrapping about myself, I am not working chronologically or in any order of importance.  Here's the first one...


As you can see, I decided to keep these very simple and I wanted to try an 8.5 X 11 format.  This one came together so easily because I found a journal entry (I think I have about a half dozen of them total) from the actual day this story happened.  I just typed it up, added a photo and slapped on a title and there you have it.  I recognize that this layout won't win any awards and no one is clamoring to publish it, but I am thrilled at what it represents. 

And one more...


Again, simple and all about the story.  I found that as I created these pages, I became more and more excited about creating others.  I plan to continue working on my list of stories and supplement with pages about my life now.  I love this approach because it breaks it down into manageable bites that I can continue work on.  Now my goal is to get my parents and my husband to start their own lists!

I'll be back tomorrow with a new card sketch for Lets Scrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment