Friday, April 1, 2011

Lily Bee design call projects...

So I took the leap and applied for the Lily Bee design team.  For my submissions, I created a decorative frame and a layout.  I knew that I wanted to do an altered item, but wasn't sure which direction I wanted to go.  My son and I were having a conversation about the fact that we don't have any Spring/Easter decorations.  So, I decided to make something  for Spring that would still fit into our clean-lined non-fussy (can't be real words) decor.  One of the things I love most about Spring is seeing the cherry trees in bloom so I used that as my inspiration.

I really like the way it turned out and it was a lot of fun to put together.  I used my Silhouette to cut the tree, the flowers, and the clouds.  Love the Silhouette...but that is a story for another day.  I added texture to the tree by sewing randomly along the trunk and along the limbs although it is hard to see in the photo.  I didn't have thickers that were the shade of yellow that I wanted and the blade in my Silhouette just happened to break at that moment, so I used a yellow sharpie to color some plain white thickers and then added some yellow glitter glue to even out the color and add some sparkle. 

The finishing touches were the Lily Bee rub-ons on the grass and I love the little bird in the tree.  I put it in a 12x12 shadow box frame and am displaying it on a table in our entry.  I am really happy with the way it all turned out and am considering making one for each season and switching them out. 

The layout I created records a memory of one of our favorite activities when we lived in California (two moves ago) of feeding the birds at a nearby park.  We loved feeding the ducks and especially the ducklings, but when there were geese on the pond, all bets were off.  Those birds can be so aggressive.  They would try to attack my poor 2yr old son to get at the bread, and I would end up literally fighting them off.  I would usually have to pick him up and fight our way out of the flock. : )  What an adventure for a toddler!  You can't tell all of this from the very peaceful photo because on those days I was too busy protecting my son to get great shots.

I used strips of several Lily Bee papers from different collections and sewed them down using different stitches.  The red strip on the bottom was hand pleated and stitched down the center. 

The yellow "ribbon" is another paper strip folded over on itself.  I used a scalloped circle punch on some corrugated packaging and added the Lily Bee sticker on top.  Again, the rub-ons provide those finishing touches along with a stamp of a little bird to get my ducks in a row. : P  I really enjoyed making a more masculine page with Lily Bee products and am happy with the result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment